Many of us go through various exercises throughout our careers to “discover” what we’re drawn to and frankly, what we’re good at. Knowing yourself begins with understanding what positions you to be the most content and productive. To better understand what matters to you and what you can use to your advantage in your job search consider that our:
– Values define what is valid and important to us in life.
– Passions excite and fulfill us – they are what “light our fires”.
– Knowledge is a body of information that is acquired over time. For job seekers this involves self knowledge, knowledge of others, and knowledge of the market.
– Skills are what we can do. Effective job searches require you to understand your strengths and competency levels for each skill.
– Abilities are special talents or personal qualities that impact our performance.
– Constraints include the factors that prevent or limit us. For example, you may lack the knowledge, skills, or abilities to work in a particular field and you may need additional training or experience to remove the constraint. For others, constraints could involve traveling within limited distances or working certain hours due to other obligations.
Personal branding begins with knowing yourself.